Outlaw Derby Addendum
Outlaw Derby Addendum
Parents & Me Too's are eligible for the Outlaw Derby; 1 car per person. Scouts shall not participate in the Outlaw Derby.
All Pinewood Derby rules will govern the Outlaw Derby with the following exceptions:
- May manipulate the wheels that came with the official car kit in any manner you deem appropriate.
- Construction of all entries must have begun after last year’s race.
- You must use the block of wood provided in the Official Pinewood Derby® Car Kit.
- The body may be shaped any way desired (while ensuring adherence all specifications); purchasing pre-made bodies is not allowed.
- Details such as steering wheel, driver, spoiler, decals, painting and interior details are permissible as long as these details do not exceed the maximum length, width or weight specifications.
The car must be free-wheeling, with no starting device or other type of propulsion. Gravity powered only!
- Cars with wet paint will not be accepted.
Axles & Wheels:
You must use the axels and wheels provided in the Official Pinewood Derby® Car Kit. Axles (nails) may not be altered in any way except for polishing.
- Only dry lubricants (such as graphite or powdered Teflon) may be used on the wheel and axel assembly. No liquid lubrication is allowed.
Wheels may be lightly sanded to smooth out molding imperfections/seams on the tread area. This light sanding is the only modification allowed. The wheels may not be: beveled, tapered, thin sanded, wafered, lathe turned, cut, or drilled. You are allowed to remove any tread surface seam from the wheels. Wheel bearings, washers, bushings, and hub caps are prohibited. The car shall not ride on any type of springs or spring apparatus.
- The maximum overall length shall not exceed 7 7/8 inches.
- The maximum overall width (including wheels and axles) shall not exceed 2 3/4 inches.
- The minimum width between the wheels shall be 1 3/4 inches so the car will clear the center guide strip on the track.
- The minimum clearance between the bottom of the car and the track surface shall be 3/8 inch so the car will clear the center guide strip on the track.
- The maximum overall height shall not exceed 6 3/4 inches.
- The assembled car weight shall not exceed 32.0 ounces. The reading of the official race day scale will be considered final.
- The car may be hollowed out and built up to the maximum weight by the addition of wood or metal only
, provided the material is securely built into the body or firmly affixed to it.
- No liquids or loose materials that could fall from the car
(such as lead shot)of any kind are permitted in or on the car. Cars will be turned upside down or shaken to determine if the material could fall out.